Meet the Candidate
Survey Response Legend
- −Declined to respond
- Declined to respond, Position based on citation
Political Party Legend
Gaynor, Steve (R)
Running for: Secretary of State
Political Affiliation: Republican
Why are you running?
The Secretary of State's most important role is Arizona's Chief Elections Officer. The performance of the Office during the last 3 ½ years has been unacceptable. There have been repeated, serious errors that constitute a pattern of failure. Laws have been broken and no one has been held accountable. The Office has lost the respect of those who depend upon its performance, including voters and County elections personnel. My business background, and especially my experience in the printing industry, is a fit with the job. I have extensive experience with document security, information technology and the law — all areas that bear directly on the functioning of the Office. I know I can do the job well — that's why I decided to run.
Survey Questions (Click to Expand)
- 1.Legalizing recreational marijuana
- 2.Prohibiting abortion except when it is necessary to prevent the death of the mother
- 3.Allowing slot machines, table games, and daily fantasy sports gambling off Indian reservations
- 4.Adding “sexual orientation,” “gender identity,” or “gender expression” to the protected classes of race, religion, age, sex, and ancestry in nondiscrimination law
- 5.Increasing state taxes to provide additional funding for the state budget
- 6.Protecting a parent’s right to seek professional counseling for their minor child with same-sex attraction or gender identity issues to help them reach their desired outcome
- 7.Expanding background checks to include guns bought from private individuals
- 8.Legalizing physician-assisted suicide
- 9.Allowing all parents to use tax credits, vouchers, or education savings accounts to enable children to attend any public, charter, private, homeschool, or online academy
- 10.Allowing public employees to use paid time off to engage in union activities
- Question 2: I support exceptions for rape, incest and life of the mother.
Arizona Right to Life
Editor's Note: If the candidate responded to the survey, all responses and comments have been reproduced exactly as submitted.