Meet the Candidate
Survey Response Legend
- −Declined to respond
- Declined to respond, Position based on citation
Political Party Legend
Debbie Lesko (R)
Running for: U.S. House of Representatives
Political Affiliation: Republican
Family:HAPPILY MARRIED WITH 3 CHILDREN, 2 GRANDCHILDREN
Why are you running?
I'm running for Congress for the same reason I ran for the AZ Legislature...To Make a Difference. I have gained a reputation for taking on big issues and getting them done. During the last 9 years I served in the AZ Senate and House I sponsored and passed pension reform, tax reform, pro-life, pro-religious freedom and ESA School Choice legislation. Planned Parenthood put out a national alert against me, protesters came to my home, and a Democrat legislator threatened to punch me in the throat....But I didn't back down. I will bring by fighting attitude to Washington D.C. and I will continue to stand up for the values that make this nation great. Thank you pro-life Susan B. Anthony List for endorsing me.
All candidate answers are displayed exactly as submitted.
Survey Questions (Click to Expand)
- 1.Moving Arizona out of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals into a newly established 12th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2.Prohibiting abortion except when it is necessary to prevent the death of the mother
- 3.Raising the federal minimum wage
- 4.Protecting individuals and businesses from being required to use their artistic expression in a manner that violates their conscience
- 5.Interpreting the U.S. Constitution in light of the present cultural context, rather than the original meaning of the text and intent of the framers
- 6.Expanding background checks to include guns bought from private individuals
- 7.Providing federal funding to Planned Parenthood and other entities that perform or refer for abortions
- 8.Prohibiting internet service providers from offering different services based on content, platforms, and websites (net neutrality)
- 9.Adding "sexual orientation," "gender identity," or "gender expression" to the protected classes of race, religion, age, sex, and ancestry in nondiscrimination law
- 10.Amending the U.S. Constitution to require Congress to balance the federal budget every year
- Question 1: I support moving Arizona out the 9th Circuit Court! The 9th Circuit court is way too liberal, is the most over-turned court, and does not represent Arizona.
- Question 2: I have a long track record of sponsoring and voting for pro-life legislation in the AZ Legislature. I am the only candidate that has been endorsed for Congress by the Susan B. Anthony List, a national pro-life organization and Governor Jan Brewer, a strong pro-life governor. Even when Planned Parenthood issued a national alert against me and I received hundreds of vile attacks, I didn’t back down and I won’t back down in Congress either.
- Question 3: No, I do not support raising the federal minimum wage. I believe in the free markets and less government regulation. As we have seen firsthand in AZ, mandated minimum wages have hurt small businesses and threaten to put organizations that care for the disabled and elderly out of business
- Question 4: I absolutely want to protect individuals and businesses from government overreach that forces them to violate their religious beliefs. That is why I was the main sponsor of a Religious Freedom bill that was passed and signed by Governor Brewer.
- Question 5: I support using the original text and intent of the Constitution and I oppose judges who bend the Constitution to fit their biased opinions.
- Question 6: I am a strong Pro-Gun Rights supporter. I have an A rating from the NRA and an A+ rating from the AZ Citizens Defense League and I am a member of both.
- Question 7: I oppose taxpayer money being used to fund abortions. That is why I sponsored and voted for legislation to defund Planned Parenthood and sponsored and passed legislation to defund abortion training at our universities and colleges.
- Question 8: I am opposed to Obama’s call for Net Neutrality. I believe in less government interference and regulation in the private sector.
- Question 9: I have consistently voted to preserve the traditional values that have made our nation great. That is why I’ve been named “Friend of the Family” and while in the state legislature scored 100% with the Center for AZ Policy.
- Question 10: We need to balance the federal budget! $20 Trillion in national debt is unsustainable. I served as Senate Appropriations Chairman. I worked directly with the legislature and Governor Ducey to balance the state budget. I also sponsored legislation to cap spending and voted in favor of the Balanced Budget Amendment.