Meet the Candidate
Survey Response Legend
- −Declined to respond
- Declined to respond, Position based on citation
Political Party Legend
Clair Van Steenwyk (R)
Running for: U.S. House of Representatives
Political Affiliation: Republican
Occupation:Retired Businessman & Radio Talk Show Host
Why are you running?
I'm running to be certain the U. S. House begins to deal with all the laws enforce that violate the US Constitution and remove them from the books, as well as get Social Security, Medicare fully funded and protected from being used for the General Budget. I also want to start the down sizing of the Federal Government by closing the Departments that usurp the Sovereignty of the States by the Federal Government. I believe if we focus on these issues we'll be able to Restore the U.S. once again to a True Republic and guarantee freedom for our Children's children's children and more. I also believe if we can accomplish this it will bring about the long term Fiscal and Military Strength we need in this dangerous world we live in today.
All candidate answers are displayed exactly as submitted.
Survey Questions (Click to Expand)
- 1.Moving Arizona out of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals into a newly established 12th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 2.Prohibiting abortion except when it is necessary to prevent the death of the mother
- 3.Raising the federal minimum wage
- 4.Protecting individuals and businesses from being required to use their artistic expression in a manner that violates their conscience
- 5.Interpreting the U.S. Constitution in light of the present cultural context, rather than the original meaning of the text and intent of the framers
- 6.Expanding background checks to include guns bought from private individuals
- 7.Providing federal funding to Planned Parenthood and other entities that perform or refer for abortions
- 8.Prohibiting internet service providers from offering different services based on content, platforms, and websites (net neutrality)
- 9.Adding "sexual orientation," "gender identity," or "gender expression" to the protected classes of race, religion, age, sex, and ancestry in nondiscrimination law
- 10.Amending the U.S. Constitution to require Congress to balance the federal budget every year
- Question 1: Believe we need to remove Judges for cause and appoint ones that will abide by the U.S. Constitution is the best solution, not just moving.
- Question 2: We must however be certain to have more than just the opinion of one Dr. who may always favor abortion over life.
- Question 3: I believe this will lead to increase prices in the long run and therefore doesn't accomplish the desired goal, I got raises by earning them.
- Question 4: We have no Constitutional Authority to Force a Citizen to give up their God Granted rights just because someone else doesn't agree with them.
- Question 5: The original intent is what founded our nation and has kept it moving forward for more than two centuries now, and to change that would forever hinder our Freedoms.
- Question 6: I see no problem with requiring anyone who buys a weapon from whomever to have a background check, after all we do have technology and can be done quickly if properly managed.
- Question 7: The Citizens of the U.S. should never be forced thru Federal Law to fund the murder of innocent children.
- Question 8: Free Enterprise is the best known system to all of us and should be left alone by all branches of Government.
- Question 9: We all have God Granted Constitutional Rights and only need apply them with reason to resolve issues we'll face.
- Question 10: Fiscal Responsibility is a very simple practice, I've used it my entire life in my home and businesses successfully and would love all level of government to do the same.